Definition and summary history of America Stock Exchange:
Abbreviated as AMEX, American Stock Exchange is said to be the third largest stock exchange by trading volumes. NYSE Euronext acquired it in 2008 and changed its name to NYSE Amex Equities in 2009. The company is located in New York City. It handles about 10% of total securities traded in the United Sates of America.
The American Stock Exchange is preferred to other stock exchange in the U.S because:
- It lists companies from all categories of industries.
- It lists companies of all sizes.
- AMEX operates through brokers and other specialists.
- It is one of the largest exchange options in the world.
- It has a listing of over 140 ETFs on stock industries and indexes.
It has the following major disadvantage:
Has the least listing requirements among the 3 top American exchanges thus known for small cap stocks, trade funds and options.
American Stock Market is owned by National Association of Securities Dealers but operated separate from NASDAQ.